There are different reasons why you may want to give up (renounce) your PR status.
- you don’t want to live in Canada permanently
- you only want to visit Canada
- you haven’t lived in Canada long enough to keep your PR status
- you want to be a citizen or permanent resident in another country and they need you to renounce your status
- you want to apply for a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- you need to give up your PR status to accept a diplomatic or official position with a foreign government